World Surfski Champ and all around decorated paddler Hank McGregor is a finalist for the 2017 Discovery Sports Industry Personality of the Year Award.
Mcgregor is among four finalists that also include:
Doug Ryder – Ryder Cycling team Dimension Data for Qhubeka
John Comitis – Cape Town City FC Owner
Mimi Mthethwa-Zulu – Netball South Africa President
The award is decided by popular vote, so you can make your voice heard and show your support for one of the best in the sport below.
You can vote at the following link: http://18.104.22.168/votingmodule/VOTING1/survey/1126497/2f5a/?logo=1&msig=3891140ba62d50fce722bd70d0759b27
More on Hank:
Hank McGregor is a family man, with a wife and toddler. He works a day job, running a small construction company, but McGregor is very far from average.
The man from Durban has one junior and eight senior World Paddling Titles to his name, as well as countless canoeing and surfski honours. He has won every paddling race worth winning in South Africa, and many beyond our borders.
Even more extraordinary is that McGregor claimed his seventh and eighth world titles in 2016, at the age of 38. But his story doesn’t end there.
McGregor is nominated as ‘Sportsman of the Year 2016’ at the SA Sports Awards (up against Chad le Clos and Wayde van Niekerk) as well as for ‘Sportsman of the Year 2016’ at the World Paddle Awards.
McGregor is a superb athlete and a wonderful sportsman and role-model who deserves every inch of the recognition bestowed upon him by the worlds sporting fraternity.
Evidence of Influence in the Industry
- McGregor and his wife initialised ‘The McGregor Paddle Series’ to give back to the sport as well as recharge it. The series ran over 6 weeks, with 6 races in August and September 2016. It was a massive success resulting in 116 Novices taking part and over 800 finishers. They aim to take the series national in 2017.
- McGregor is the most multi-talented and diverse athlete across all paddlesports.
- He is a multiple World and SA Flat Water marathon champion, multiple SA River Marathon champion, Multiple SA surfski champion.
- Awarded the inaugural ‘Sportsman of the Year’ at the World Paddle Awards last year.
Evidence of Use of Creative and Innovative Marketing
- His brand continues to grow with the growth of paddlesports and with his social media platforms, bringing it to a much larger audience than ever before.
- The “Hank McGregor” brand consists of a number of elements used to create and distribute unique content: Twitter, Facebbok, YouTube, Instagram and media management.
- The content is designed around specific race disciplines in which McGregor competes in, which include live updates at major events, race reports, pre and post-race interviews on Hank’s YouTube Channel and press releases to the media.
- Over the last 3 year’s McGregor has been aligned to some very strong brands in the paddling industry including Team Kayak Center for canoeing and Team Epic Kayaks for surfsking, as well as Gara Paddles and Mocke Paddling as equipment suppliers.
- With every sporting personality there comes a character behind the performance and results. McGregor’s work ethic and focus stand out when anyone mentions his name.
- McGregor is at the pinnacle of the watersport world and with his success he has been able to make a great name for himself in the community, in the public eye and in the media.
- Hank has also had commercial agreements with Euro Team and Jeep Team SA.
Evidence of Achievements
- Hong Kong Dragon Run, World Surfski Series 1st
- Cape Point Challenge 1st
- SA Double Surfski Championships 1st
- 50 miler (K2) 1st
- Dusi Canoe Marathon 2016 (K2) 2nd
- Umkomaas Marathon 1st
- Molokai World Ocean Classic 1st
- SA K1 Marathon Championships 1st
- Mauritius Ocean Classic 1st
- Berg Canoe Marathon 1st (11th win, record)
- Durban Downwind, World Series 1st
- World Marathon Championships: gold K1 and K2, world record 4th consecutive K1 title
- Winner of the Doctor Surfski race (Australia)
- Winner of the World Surfski Series
2016 Award Nominations:
- Sportsman of the Year, SA Sports Awards
- Sportsman of the Year, World Paddle Awards
- Junior World Marathon Champion
- 6 x Senior K1 World Marathon Champion
- 2 x Senior K2 World Marathon Champion
- 1 x Senior K2 World Marathon Silver Medalist
- 3 x Molokai World Surfski Champion
- 11 x Berg River Canoe Marathon
- 2 x Dusi Canoe Marathon
- 4 x Durban World Cup Surfski Winner
- 8 x Varsity College Surfski Series Winner
- Winner of all National titles in surfski, flat water canoeing and river canoeing in the same year.
- Winner of every surfski race and canoe race on the South African Calendar.
- National Colours in 3 sports: canoeing, surfski, lifesaving